Saturday, February 07, 2009

A Day in the Life

I was sitting in the airport awaiting a flight to Denver to go to a 99s conference (this was year before last). THE NINETY-NINES, INC., is an international organization of licensed women pilots from 35 countries with currently over 5,500 members throughout the world. They are a non-profit, charitable membership corporation holding 501(c)(3) U.S. tax status. International Headquarters is located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Although there are other female pilot organizations in various states and nations, virtually all women of achievement in aviation have been or are members of The Ninety-Nines.

If you're wondering why I am using such old pictures - it's because I forgot the cable to connect my camera to my laptop! I'm making do til I get home tonight.

Does anyone recognize this airport? All I remember is that the terminal was new, and that everywhere were floor to ceiling windows. The view on the ramp was incredible. There were kids with their noses pressed up against the glass, and adults were mostly sitting facing out to see the airport operations.


I thought it would be great to take these pictures in preparation for the Penelope Pilot book which talks about a commercial airline pilot getting ready for work. In these three pictures are just about everything a non-pilot illustrator would need to be able to accurately portray the scene. Plus, it's easy for me to forget that though I see this scene all the time, not everyone does. This little girl running around in front of me kept asking her parents what everything was. She was filled with curiousity.




1 comment: