Monday, November 10, 2008

Veteran's Day

Last thursday I was honored to speak at the Holly Lane Elementary Veteran's Day Assembly in Westlake, Oh. They were recognizing "Women in Service" and Celebrating 20 Years of Honoring Veterans (November 7th, 2008). I served seven years active duty army after 2 years of ROTC in college and three years in the Ohio National Guard.

Along with my speech, the students of the school heard from Staff Sgt Kimberly Middleton, an Army Recruiter in my town of Lakewood, and Community Liason for Senator Sherrod Brown, Matthew Kaplan.

Believe me when I say that from the Viet Nam veteran color guard's posting the US Flag, to every grade's (1st - 4th) presentations of songs and flowers to attending veterans, I don't think I've ever seen a better behaved group of kids or more respectful program. Kudos to organizer Marilyn Lester).

Since I have resigned my commission, I am unable to wear my uniform, but I read exerpts from the following Commentary by Airman 1st Class Joshua Wilks 796th Civil Engineer Squadron to illustrate my ongoing respect for the uniform, and, of course, our country's military veterans.

When I dress in the morning, I try to remember I wear the uniform of a military that protects the greatest symbol of democracy and freedom in the world.
But sometimes, I forget.
I also try to remember people who dress as I do every morning, the ones who have dressed this way so many days before me, and those who will follow me.
But, sometimes, I forget.
I try to keep in mind just one of the fallen heroes who wore this very same uniform. The ones who lost their lives in it, and the one who still wear it as they lie in their final resting places in a national cemetery.
But sometimes, I forget.
Every morning, when I go to work, I try to remember to say good morning to my coworkers, military and civilian. I try to remember these people protect my freedom as I work beside them each day.
But sometimes, I forget.
I try to remember that my job is the greatest in the world.
But sometimes, I forget.
I try to remember that although this uniform may be a little too warm in the summer and just not warm enough in the winter, thousands of my comrades remain missing in action, and others were imprisoned for years on foreign soil, suffering torture and abuse inconceivable to humanity -- all this while wearing this uniform.
But sometimes, I forget.
During the day, when I think of all the other things I would rather be doing with my life, I try to remember the role I take part in while wearing this uniform. I try to remember this world is still a dangerous place, and we must work extremely hard to safeguard the freedom we take for granted so our children will know the freedom we have always known.
But sometimes, I forget.
I try to remember as I pledge my allegiance to Old Glory, this awe-inspiring symbol of freedom and democracy, that others entrust my comrades and me with her safekeeping.
But sometimes, I forget.
At bedtime, as I kneel in prayer before God, I try to remember the hundreds of thousands of families who lost their loved ones in the defense of this great land.
But sometimes, I forget.
I try to remember that I would die for this country, but I would much rather live for it.
But sometimes, I forget.
Yet at times like this, (of war) when I remember to take these things into account, there is no way I can explain the pride I feel and the honor I embrace while wearing this uniform and serving this country. And when I leave this world, my spirit will echo words known to me since childhood, "one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

No comments:

Post a Comment