Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Another update from Ema, An Advanced Rating Scholarship Winner!

This is the first journal entry provided to us by Ema Marter, who was selected for an Advanced Training Scholarship within The Girls With Wings 2014 Scholarship Program to help defray the cost of flight training lessons in pursuit of an Advanced Rating or Certificate such as instrument rating, commercial pilot certificate, flight instructor certificate, instrument flight instructor certificate, multi-engine rating or multi-engine flight instructor certificate. This new scholarship award is in the amount of $1000, funded by the generous donations from supporters of Girls With Wings, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Ema's application essay is published here and her first essay here.

I am officially signed up for my college courses in the fall! Picking classes always excites me, since I am in the Aviation Science program at Dutchess Community College. I chose aviation law, commercial flight, physics, calculus, and intro to engineering. Engineering is something I would have never considered if not for my experience in aviation, which has really expanded my interests in science, math, and history. 

I know it’s only July, but I am already looking forward to the upcoming semester. I was elected to be president (first female to do so!) of the Hudson Valley Aviation Club at the school. It will be a great experience welcoming new students into the pilot community. I have been brainstorming ideas to keep things lively: events, trips, fundraising, community service, video projects, etc. My goal is to connect the students and have a lot of fun this year. 

I have not been flying much lately, as I have been battling a bad sinus infection. It is frustrating that my own health is holding me back from getting up in the air, but it’s really important to follow the I’M SAFE checklist (i.e. illness, medication, stress, alcohol, fatigue, and eating). I do not see myself entering holds and performing maneuvers if my head feels like it is going to explode. 

Hopefully it clears up by the end of the week. I am scheduled to go flying over the Hudson River on the 4th of July! I will be able to watch fireworks from a Piper Cherokee :)

Essays about flight training from the other awardees will be published here as they are received.

1 comment:

  1. So did the weather clear so you could watch from the Cherokee? I finally got to go fireworks sight seeing myself in my Cherokee, had been trying for years. Had to do a lot of night and slow flight practice in the months prior to feel safe and comfortable. It was so much fun, so magical. Loved it. Here's a video of my night. http://youtu.be/9UTtUsDuHg4?list=UUJmy0jJwW2GvRKzUAL-am9g

    ReplyDelete