Tuesday, July 22, 2014

An update from Lauren, GWW Dreams Take Flight Scholarship Winner!

This is the second journal entry provided to us by Lauren Prox, who was selected for a Dreams Take Flight Scholarship from Girls With Wings. The Girls With Wings 2014 Scholarship Program includes the Dreams Take Flight Scholarship was designed to introduce the world of aviation to someone who would benefit from experiencing the joy of flight. This scholarship is intended to fund introductory flight training to encourage achievement of a stated goal, whether in aviation or in another field of study.  There is no prerequisite flight training required for this scholarship, just enthusiasm and the desire to learn.  The Dreams Take Flight Scholarship is in the amount of $500.00, funded by the generous donations from supporters of Girls With Wings, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Lauren's application essay is published here and her first entry here.

So far, this 'Dreams Take Flight' scholarship has been much more rewarding than I ever thought. Not only has the money helped me get my foot into the door of the world of aviation, but it has been a great conversation starter as well. Most recently, I met a private pilot from South Carolina who was extremely proud of me for venturing into aviation. I told him about Girls With Wings Scholarship, and he was blown away. He told me about several other opportunities for me to find funding as well. This is why I love the field of aviation; those involved in it are always so quick to involve new people and help them move forward. 

This Summer, I have been on two flights with my scholarship. My most recent flight was alot more hands on than the first, and it was instructed by my Air Traffic Control teacher. Although I shied away from the option of talking to the tower, I didn't shy away from taking control of the aircraft. We flew in a practice area that I was familiar with, so that made me feel more at ease. My instructor was quick to point out various landmarks and even his in-law's house, all in good attempts to keep my eyes outside the aircraft. 

During my flight I also learned how to navigate through the air without using the instruments in the cockpit. I was a little anxious at first, but I did what my instructor told me to, and it worked. I also learned a methodical method to doing my pre-flight check. I was told to start from the floor board fuel tanks and work my way up. It was a quick system and a great redundancy method to use. 
 
My flight time is not yet over, as I have a flight simulator ride and a discovery flight coming up. I plan on taking my younger brothers along to expose them to the world of aviation as well. I am excited to continue using my scholarship monies, and hope that this success will keep providing more opportunities for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment