Monday, September 16, 2013

Yeni's First Post as the Girls With Wings Dreams Take Flight Scholarship Winner!

Yeni's First Post as the Girls With Wings Dreams Take Flight Scholarship Winner! Yeni's lessons have been funded in part by the generous donations that people have made to Girls With Wings. The Dreams Take Flight Dreams Take Flight Scholarship is designed to introduce the world of aviation to someone who would benefit from experiencing the joy of flight. The award of this scholarship is intended to fund introductory flight training to encourage achievement of a stated goal, whether in aviation or in another field of study. There is no prerequisite flight training required for this scholarship, just enthusiasm and the desire to learn. The Dreams Take Flight Scholarship is an award in the amount of $500.00. Read more about our scholarship program.

I’m delighted to be awarded with the Dreams Take Flight Scholarship. Thank you for the opportunity to pursue my passion for flying. It has been an amazing experience so far and because of the scholarship I have even more motivation to continue my ultimate goal to become a pilot. 

I have been spending ten hours a week preparing for the written exam. I am very confident with the progress I am making, and I plan on taking the exam early in October. I have been taking advantage of the fact that I work for an aviation training company by using my co-workers knowledge and experience as a resource. I ask many questions and my co-workers are very impressed with my enthusiasm and desire to learn more about the world of aviation. 

I really enjoy learning about aerodynamics, flight rules, and especially about the weather. 

My plan for August was to fly ten hours and possibly do my first solo. However, due to unforeseeable obligations I was unable to accomplish this objective much to my disappointment. I have been using the time, as I mentioned, to insure that I score the highest possible written test results. 

Even though I haven’t flown as much as I wanted to, my instructor Len and I have been able to perform the preflight walk-around several times. I have also been spending time studying all of the checklist procedures for the Cessna 172. I feel confident at this point that I can do my preflight procedures without the aid of my instructor. I am looking forward to flying again, and I have several lessons scheduled in the next couple of weeks. 

( Preflight walk-around in the Cessna 172) 

I feel that I am moving the right direction and once again grateful for the opportunity that The Girls with Wings have afforded me. I am committed to justifying your confidence in me because I have learned that the sky is not my limit.

Thank you so much, 
Yeni 

 We hope you get back in the air soon, Yeni - keep us posted!

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! 10 hours a week prepping for the written, I'm feeling like a slacker now! Today is the day I'm really buckling down and studying hard. Good luck, Yeni! Can't wait to hear about you soloing!

    ReplyDelete