Friday, September 20, 2013

The final essay of a 2013 Spring Scholarship Program: Najla Dorsey!

In our better-late-than-never and don't-ever-give-up category, we present the final essay of a 2013 Spring Scholarship Program: Najla Dorsey! Due to some family and personal issues she's had to take  a bit of a break from flying but we hope to see her up in the air again soon. Read her application and first essay. and then read more about our scholarship program.

[The Girls With Wings Dreams Take Flight Scholarship is designed to introduce the world of aviation to someone who would benefit from experiencing the joy of flight. The award of this scholarship is intended to fund introductory flight training to encourage achievement of a stated goal, whether in aviation or in another field of study. There is no prerequisite flight training required for this scholarship, just enthusiasm and the desire to learn. The Dreams Take Flight Scholarship is an award in the amount of $500.00.]

I have learned a lot during my flight training and have made tremendous progress since the spring. I want to show my gratitude to Girls With Wings for exposing aviation to young girls, supporting aviation dreams, and recruiting aviatrixes, like myself, to become role models. As I mentioned previously, I have been faced with some challenges in the air such as landing the plane, radio communications, and crosswind correction. However, these challenges have allowed me to see strengths within myself I never knew I had. These strengths have assured me that I can gain proficiency in various flight maneuvers with consistency and dedication. To this day, I still face challenges. Acting as pilot-in-command is a big responsibility and an aspect that I still need to gain confidence in. The Dream Takes Flight Scholarship not only provides financial help for continuous flight lessons but the organization, as a whole, offers the support of women who have gone through similar difficulties while learning within the field of aviation. I can only hope that the flying experiences I share with Girls With Wings can be that inspirational strength for another young lady entering aeronautics.

No comments:

Post a Comment