Sunday, September 01, 2013

Devin's First Post as the Girls With WIngs Private Pilot Scholarship Winner!

Congratulations to Devin, who has resumed her flying lessons thanks in part to the generous donations that people have made to Girls With Wings. The Private Pilot Scholarship is to help defray the cost of flight training lessons in pursuit of a private pilot certificate. This scholarship, an award in the amount of $1000.00, targets those individuals who have soloed but have not completed the Private Pilot Course. Read more about our scholarship program.

When I received the notice that I won the amazing private pilot scholarship, I ran around my whole house to tell my parents and sister. I’m so honored to have been selected for this scholarship and will work my hardest to get achieve my private pilot license as soon as possible so I can tell you all about it. 

Unfortunately I was unable to get my private pilot license a before school started, but I have already scheduled September full of flights, including my cross country. In July, I mostly was studying my Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual and Jeppesen Private Pilot Maneuvers Manual. I discovered I won the award in early August, and since then have been working with my instructor to schedule flights and set checkpoints. 

Even though I haven’t flown all that much these past months, I have had some very important flights. I was able to fly my grandmother, visiting from California, around. She was really happy that I would be able to get a private pilot’s license soon, especially since her mother and father had pilot’s licenses. I was also able to take my mother flying, and it was probably one of the only times she’d ever been up in a small plane before. I’ve had a couple of training flights in addition to these where I had to knock some rust off from not flying for a while before the summer started, but I think now I’m completely up to speed and excited for the more intensive flight schedule to come. In my last flight lesson, I practiced a lot of slow flight and landings with flaps, which I am not very experienced using. On Monday I’m going flying again and can’t wait to see what new things I learn and how I’ll improve. Here are some pictures of my training flight on August 23rd. I’m doing preflight check and pushing out the plane. My instructor is in the blue shirt helping me tow out the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment