Sunday, August 26, 2012

Scholarship Winner Alyssa Mae's Application Essay

We are so excited to present to you the application essays from the two Girls With Wings Summer Scholarship Winners!

The Girls With Wings Scholarship Program provides funds for flight training to selected individuals with a willingness to be superlative GWW role models. Winners show potential to continue her interaction with the GWW organization, via the website and events, so she can assist GWW in encouraging more young girls to have an interest in aviation. Part of the obligation for being awarded the scholarship is to submit at least one picture and an associated journal entry once a month for three months to the Girls With Wings blog to share with others her training, as well as email a final essay summarizing how the scholarship helped her, what she learned and her intent to continue her work as a role model and volunteer for the Girls With Wings, Inc., organization.

Alyssa Mae is the recipient of our $500 Dreams Take Flight Training Scholarship.

This is Alyssa Mae's cover letter. It is so indicative of her enthusiasm we've decided to share it with you.

Are you looking for someone whose life's passion is aviation? Someone who has her goals set and is dedicated to flying? Someone who puts two hundred percent into everything she does and never stops trying? If so, then I may be the person you're looking for.

I have loved aircraft since I was little and have wanted to become a licensed pilot since I was ten years old. My dreams would come true if I earned my pilot's license! I am trying inexplicably hard to achieve my goals. I do everything from graphic design to house cleaning. I even set up a pilot's license campaign on a website. Cost is my biggest obstacle, definitely not my motivation.

I will do everything I can do gain experience in aviation. Recently I've attended Women Soar, Air Academy, and Space Camp on full scholarships. Currently, I am a Cliff Robertson Intern at EAA Air Air Academy doing everything from teaching kids about aviation to actually flying myself. As I walk around the AirVenture Museum or see the planes taking off at Pioneer Airport, I want to earn my pilot's license more than anything. As time goes on, my passion for flying only seems to get stronger and I love to share my passion with others.

As for my goals, I'm somewhat undecided. The only thing concrete right now is my desire to earn my pilot's license. Recently I've been considering attending MIT to major in Aerospace Engineering and minor in Chinese. I've also been thinking about flying corporate but I like doing aerobatic maneuvers as well; I promise you though; it will be a career in aviation!

I would be extremely grateful if you considered me for the Dreams Take Flight Scholarship. My future doesn't exist without aviation in it. Thank you so much for taking your time to read my letter and application, it really means a lot to me that there are people in this world who are willing to help me achieve my dreams. And one day, I hope I can help others too.

And this is Alyssa Mae's essay:

My future could not exist without aviation in it. When I say that, one hundred percent of my heart can go into those words. Ever since I was little, I can remember being mesmerized by airplanes and helicopters. I could still feel the same joy and excitement that aviation brought to me over ten years ago and my passion has only gotten stronger with time. Currently, my plan to get my pilot's license is what dominates most of my life at the moment. For almost a year now, I have been highly devoted to seeking ways to earn it. In April of 2012 I set up an internet campaign with a man I met on Career day at my school. He is also a private pilot and helped me set up a program through which I have earned almost $1000 towards my pilot's license. Also, I am earning some flight time at my job as an intern at EAA. (Which I will explain further on.) But even with all of this, it's less than half of what a pilot's license would be. I'm still working on not only my hours, but the money I need to get the hours. Once I get my pilot's license, I'm not exactly sure what my future aspirations will be. Recently, my goals have shifted to attending MIT and majoring in Aerospace Engineering or to flying corporately. Even though my goals often change, I'm positive my future will be in the field of aviation.

I would absolutely love to become a role model to anyone who is passionate about aviation. Though much volunteer work, I have developed a love of helping others and my friends and family see me as the "optimistic one." Each day at my job I meet young kids who are exploring aviation, and I love to share my passion with them. It would truly mean a lot to me if I could convince others to follow their dreams in aviation or anything else for that matter. I say this because role models have had a huge influence on me. When I attended Women Soar, it was one of the most magical experiences of my life. I met so many female pilots who once strived for the same goals as I do, and to hear their success really made a difference in my life. They made me become more determined and motivated that ever before. And, because of that I would like to do the same for any children with a dream. I needed people to stand behind me, to make me believe. And I am more than willing to show others what they can achieve.

I'm a bit unsure where my desire, my ambition, or my motivation comes from. But each day I wake up, I strive to make each day better and I strive to make a difference. I have always been fascinated by the immense world of aviation, and that in itself inspires me. When I achieve something, it just motivates me to do more. But also, when I don't achieve something I still keep trying. As for my career path, I stay motivated because I dream of waking up and having a job that I love each day. I would like a job in aviation, what I'm most passionate about. And whether that turns out to be behind the controls as a pilot, or behind the scenes as an engineer; I'm not sure you can go wrong with any career in aviation. And now I'm very determined to become involved with Girls With Wings! I have to admit, I didn't know much about it until a year ago but since then, I truly think it's an incredible organization that I would love to be a part of. Just the fact that it has so much to offer girls like me makes me want to stay involved. Not just for my own benefit, but for the possibility it gives me to help others as well. For example, take one of your role models, Jill. She has helped me so much (probably more than she knows) and I would love to do the same for another girl.

For the longest time, I've been trying to become as involved as I can possibly be in aviation. It all started when I used to implore my parents to go to the airport when I was a toddler. Then because of that I was introduced to EAA's Young Eagles Days. Now, I try to attend Women Soar in 2010. There I made many connections and even eared the Ragged Edge Scholarship to Space Camp (which I attended in 2011)! Also, my local EAA chapter then sponsored me to attend EAA Air Academy in 2011. Through EAA I have become very close with certain people have been great mentors to me. I've also accomplished a significant part of the Sporty's Online course given to me through EAA/Sporty's. On another note, I am a member of WAI and AOPA. I attend their summits and events when they are close by. And currently, I've earned myself a position at EAA in Oshkosh, Wisconsin for the whole summer as a "Cliff Robertson Work Experience" Intern; which I am ecstatic about! Not only do I get to work at the Air Academy, but I work at the AirVenture Museum, AirVenture, and even get to fly! It is the perfect job for me at the moment. And lastly, for my senior year, my high school has agreed to give me credit for an internship at a local airport.Even though, with all of the amazing experiences I have had so far in aviation; it still does not help me scale my biggest obstacle: the cost of flight training. Sure I may have gone to camps and had experiences; but the $100+ a lesson still awaits me. My parents are really struggling at the moment financially; we barely live paycheck to paycheck. Neither of them are at all connected to the field of aviation, so it's all up to me. I'm not the girl whose dad is a pilot and is best friends with the CFI at the local airport. My parents support me and my dreams; but I need that extra help. And I'm applying for this scholarship because I genuinely need help; not because I don't want to try. I'm trying the hardest I can to earn money for a pilot's license. In my free time I spend countless hours on graphic design (videos, brochures, etc), cleaning houses, or baby-sitting to earn some cash. I also made an online campaign in which I do volunteer work in exchange for money I receive. I'm not one to settle for things handed down to me, I'm willing to work and to live up to whatever expectations I have to meet. The "Dreams Take Flight" scholarship would enable me to receive a good chunk of flying lessons and would give me a huge push toward achieving my license. It's exactly what I need to make my dreams come true. Right now, any amount can help me and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to soar.

Thank you for taking your time to read my essay. My true love is aviation and I really thank Girls With Wings for giving me the opportunity to fulfill my life long goals.

1 comment:

  1. I dream of waking up and having a job that I love each day. That is the reason i want to write scholarship statement of purpose which will help me in my budget.

    ReplyDelete