Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Passing of My Pet



It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of my beloved cat, Squeaky. She developed kidney disease and was clearly suffering the ill effects, so I helped her on her way to a more restful place last month.

Being on the road so many days in a row, it was such a joy to have her welcome me home after my trips. I had adopted her and her brother, Mr Grizzley, when I was stationed in Germany, and as my bilingual companions traveled the world with me, they became much like my children.

Squeaky was 14 years old, but up until a few months ago, she still thought she was a kitten. She drove me crazy being always underfoot, but I would now give any thing to trip over her in the kitchen as she waited for me to drop a morsel of food. Toward the end she was rapidly losing weight, doing nothing more than sleeping in a closet all day, but it was the hardest thing I ever had to do to let her go. I miss her terribly.

No comments:

Post a Comment