NOTAM or NoTAM is the quasi-acronym for a "Notice To Airmen". NOTAMs are created and transmitted by government agencies under guidelines specified by Annex 15: Aeronautical Information Services of the International Convention on Civil Aviation. A NOTAM is filed with an aviation authority to alert aircraft pilots of any hazards en route or at a specific location. The authority in turn provides means of disseminating relevant NOTAMs to pilots.
NOTAMs are issued (and reported) for a number of reasons, such as:
- hazards such as air-shows and parachute jumps
- flights by important people such as heads of state
- closed runways
- inoperable radio navigational aids
- military exercises with resulting airspace restrictions
- inoperable lights on tall obstructions
- temporary erection of obstacles near airfields (e.g. cranes)
- passage of flocks of birds through airspace (a NOTAM in this category is known as a BIRDTAM)
Software is available to allow pilots to identify NOTAMs near their intended route or at the intended destination. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOTAM
Visit the store at https://www.shop.girlswithwings.com/splashPage.hg to see our new items!