Friday, August 01, 2014

Another update from Willow, GWW Private Pilot Scholarship Winner!

This is the third journal entry provided to us by Willow Seward, who was selected for a Private Pilot Scholarship from Girls With Wings. The Girls With Wings 2014 Scholarship Program includes the Private Pilot Scholarship, to help defray the cost of flight training lessons in pursuit of a private pilot certificate. This scholarship targets those individuals who have soloed but have not completed the Private Pilot Course.  The Private Pilot Scholarship is in the amount of $1000.00, funded by the generous donations from supporters of Girls With Wings, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Willow's application essay is published here first essay here and her second here.

Willow Seward 
GWW Entry #3 
July 31, 2014 

I still pinch myself when I think of everything that I have achieved. Graduation from High School and obtaining my Private Pilot License two months ago is still overwhelming. My friends find it hard to believe, my family is supportive of my decisions, and I am on the path to achieving my dreams! It is almost beyond words how I feel about what I have done and what life has in store for me. 

My next big adventure is about to start. College! August 20 is move in day! (I think I am more nervous about this than I was soloing.) I am going to begin flying at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Prescott, AZ. I am very fortunate to be able to attend such a prestigious flight school. Instrument is next on my check list. My goal is to graduate with a BS in Aviation Management, Minor in Unmanned Aircraft Systems and obtain my Commercial Pilot Certification. I am ready for the challenge to become the best pilot that I can be! 

 I am so thankful for organizations like Girls With Wings that help educate young girls about the experience of flight. Over the past few months, I have been able to share my experience with so many people. In fact, it is actually quite a thrill to be able to share my passion and desire for flight with not only my friends and family, but with complete strangers. I feel like I am developing a new family of friends that share my same passion. The rewarding feeling of just bringing light to the world of aviation is priceless. I look forward to continuing my skill development and the opportunity to one day become a mentor to another young girl who is eager to see what the world looks like through the clouds. 

Thank You again Girls With Wings! 
Willow Seward

1 comment:

  1. I love this! i hate that some men try to make it seem like the Air is a mans world! i am going to school at http://www.flyhaa.com/en/page/helicopter_flight_training_courses and i feel more inspired then ever to keep going! Thanks for the posts keep it up

    ReplyDelete