Friday, November 02, 2012

Meagan's Final "Private Pilot" GWW Scholarship Essay

I give to you the third and final essay from Meagan, the recipient of our 2012 Summer Private Pilot Scholarship. The Girls With Wings Scholarship Program provides funds for flight training to selected individuals with a willingness to be superlative GWW role models. Winners show potential to continue her interaction with the GWW organization, via the website and events, so she can assist GWW in encouraging more young girls to have an interest in aviation. Part of the obligation for being awarded the scholarship is to submit at least one picture and an associated journal entry once a month for three months to the Girls With Wings blog to share with others her training, as well as email a final essay summarizing how the scholarship helped her, what she learned and her intent to continue her work as a role model and volunteer for the Girls With Wings, Inc., organization.

We will announce the details of our 2013 Scholarship program next January. We are ALWAYS in need of donations to continue these scholarships. Please click on our PayPal link to submit your donation (any amount is appreciated!). 

And now, may we present Meagan's Essay:

Hi Lynda and Girls with Wings,

I haven't flown much in October, however, one of my CFI's is getting his CFII, therefore, I've been tagging along with him and the chief flight instructor, in the back of the 172, on their training flights. I've learned so much from being an observer! I've witnessed him fly holding patterns over Oceanside VOR and approaches into KCRQ. The exposure to watching him use the dual VOR's, and the GPS in the airplane, only add to my experience and knowledge. It's nice to sit back and be an observer every once in a while because you can focus on the process, instead of having to fly the airplane at the same time. Plus, the views are priceless :)

October was a slow month in my personal flight training. I spent the month of October looking for another job, so that I can have money to pay for my IFR training. I had an interview with one company, worked on my resume for a few other companies, and finally, my patience and persistence paid off. An opportunity presented itself at one of the businesses I already work for. I obtained a position as outside sales manager and began my first day on the job on October 28th. Now, I'm definitely going to be able to fly in the month of November!

The Girls with Wings scholarship has helped me tremendously! It allowed me to complete my Private Pilot Certificate and pay for my checkride, which allowed me to spend more of my money toward my Instrument Rating. I feel so blessed and relieved to have received the GWW scholarship!

I fully intend to work as a role model and volunteer for Girls with Wings. I have an arrangement with my flight school, Pinnacle Aviation Academy, on November 7th. My best friend, Margaret Malek, is a 5th grade teacher in Oceanside, Ca. Every school year she creates a girls empowerment club and this year there are about 30 girls in her club. We've created a field trip for the girls to visit my flight academy and take a tour of the hangar, flight school, and flight line. I'm going to show them the Cessna 152's, 172's, and allow them to sit in the cockpits. The Pinnacle Aviation Academy staff and I are going to talk to the girls about the instruments and what it's like to fly. Also, the general manager is donating simulator time in the G1000!!! We are going to give each girl a chance to fly the simulator and give them a feel for the yoke and rudder controls. I'm sooo excited about this trip for the girls! We are going to have soo much fun! I don't think these girls have ever been to an airport, been on an airplane, or even know what it's like to fly. I'm very excited to share the world of flying with them. Stay tuned for pictures from our adventure!

 Also, Margaret purchased a copy of Penelope Pilot! She will keep it in her class room to share with all her girls in the years to come. 

Overall, I'm very excited about this coming week and continuing my IFR training throughout the end of the year! I already know 2013 is going to be another great year full of accomplishments and additional ratings :) 

Thank you so much, Girls with Wings, for believing in me and helping me to achieve my dreams! 

Sincerely, 
Meagan Gearin 

Meagan, congratulations on your success receiving your private pilot certification and starting on your instrument training. It's certainly not an easy road to success but you've been doing great! We wish you the very best making your "Dreams Take Flight" and hope to continue to hear from you in the future.

Best,
Lynda Meeks, Founder and Executive Director, Girls With Wings, Inc.,
and the entire volunteer staff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment