Sunday, July 08, 2007

Back from my Trip to Utah!

I am back from my travels to Utah - and although glad to be back, I really enjoyed my time communing with nature. Not only were temperatures in the 100s, but also breezes kicked around the hot sand. Whew.

My dad, a co worker of his, and I spent a couple of days near Paria River, in a slot canyon, which was formed by a river cutting through the sandstone. It was amazingly beautiful being surrounded by canyon walls hundreds of feet high, seperated by only 10-20 feet of sandy floor. The river was barely visible this time of year, mostly a bunch of interconnected puddles. We were expecting a bit more water, so instead of wearing my hiking boots I wore my Teva sandals. After three days of hiking, I had to duct tape them together to make the hike out of the canyon!


Then my dad and I went on to Kolob canyon, which was completely different. There was at least some vegetation, and a lot of hills to go up and down. Still hot and dry - in fact - it was so dry it was like a tinder box. Wildfires are a constant fear. Both places we carried everything in our packs; tents, sleeping bags, food, water, etc. The only wildlife we saw were a couple of skunks!

We did a day hike here to Bear trap, a canyon with a waterfall. It was very cold water, maybe 50 degrees. It took our breath away - but having been days without bathing, it was impossible to resist.

It was a great time. Even though I am stressed about our upcoming appearance at EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh WI with all that I have to do to prepare for that, it was so refreshing to get away for a week to commune with nature. I know this entry doesn't have much to do with aviation, but it does have to do with travel, getting out to see more of the world, testing your physical abilities and making the most out of life!

Have a great day,
Lynda















No comments:

Post a Comment